September 27, 2010
When we learn anything, it can be broken down into four phases. To learn or teach anyhting, it is of benefit to know when each of these four stages are reached to gauge learning:
- Unconscious incompetence – You dont know what a car is
- Conscious incompetence – You know what a car is, but you dont know how to drive it
- Conscious competence – You can drive a car whilst concentrating on how to do it
- Unconscious competence – You can drive a car without thinking about it
Can you think of any examples for anything you have learnt recently?
September 22, 2010
Reflections being carried forward...
To get my third year off to a flying start, a short exercise of reflection on last year to create some targets seems like a good place to start.
Reflection in the work setting 2
- Do not use visual enhancement unless it adds value to existing information
- Demonstrate understanding and application
- Use clear examples to demonstrate information – DO NOT OVER COMPLICATE!!!
- Further develop understanding of Governing Variables
- Systematic approach to the unpacking of ideas, supported by direct referencing of literature
- To quote:
There are some good examples of critical engagement with theory, however; the depth of understanding that was evidenced needs to be strengthened. Increasing the amount and range of reading and taking a critical stance in your learning journal and community discussions will help develop your skills in this area.
- Attention to Harvard Referencing detail – special attention to referencing within the text
- Be critical rather than descriptive
- Focus on key elements of action inquiry
- Detail, detail, detail
Learning in the work setting
- Ensure all sentence are well structured
- Explicit discussion rather than implication needed when talking in detail about important points such as ethics
- Precise expression of ideas
- To quote:
Technology – consider genres, as well as media, seeking to develop further an academic approach that may also provide models for pupils or staff.
Technology in the work setting
- Demonstrate wider reading of relavent literature
- Concise writing sometimes detracts from the ability to demonstrate that an idea has been fully unpacked
So all in all not to bad at all, some things here to work on and take forward with me this year.
September 20, 2010
So, the last and final year of my undergraduate degree. Woah that went fast! It only seems like yesterday that I was undertaking my on-line induction to the course. But enough of the reminiscence, onwards and upwards!
I have been looking forward to this Semester all summer as the topics covered are of particular interest to me. First off there is Technology for Dissemination, this is looking at ways for information to be presented, to who and for what purpose… or as far as my understanding at this point can deliver. I am swaying towards web technologies for this section as I have built tobyadams.tk over the summer, a project to firstly get myself a home on the web, but secondly to get to grips with technology that allows the presentation of virtually any information in virtually any format on the web.
The second major chunk is the Work Based Major Project which looks directly at practice and incorporates previous study of reflection, action enquiry, examination of organisational learning and all manner of other methodologies, techniques and models. I am initially thinking of something along the lines of bringing personal practice in line with QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) standards. I do this as this is pivotal to my role and will put me in good stead for my eventual teacher training.
Whether or not any of this will come through as the weeks go on is uncertain, but I start this Semester ladies and Gentlemen with high hopes and high anticipation of the studies ahead. Lets go!