Throughout my previous study, I have learnt many skills that I do not have the space here to list. One specific I want to unpack here is the concept of using alternative media to present assignments. University is all too often associated with 3,000 word essays and the like, but it really does not have to be that way.
I have made use of a variety of media to present my assignments and I am lucky that I work with a University / Faculty that embraces this medium. I have used everything from Poetry to Animation. As long as the medium accurately meets the outcomes required of the assignment, what’s the problem? I would even go to say that my faculty would prefer to see a 5 minute animation than a 1,500 essay! Some examples I have used in past study:
- Poetry – depicting a critical incident of a trip to China with Students, learning valuable lessons of pastoral care.
- Vlog – talking freely, prompted by notes, about an event. Feedback on this is that it promotes deeper reflection. I have to agree.
- Animated presentations – presentations done in Apple Keynote that allow the user to interact with the presentation and advance at their own pace.
- Emails to a hypothetical freiend – encourages persuasive techniques around an academic subject.
These are just a few examples of how I have utilised alternative media in my studies, I look forward to a time where assignment submission in these media is common place in all levels of education, because lets be real here, when do you write essays in ‘the real world’?
- Marketing Through Alternative Media (marketingpr.suite101.com)
- Know The Ways for Essay Help (socyberty.com)
- Up, Up, and Away: How a group of researchers is reinventing school libraries (schoollibraryjournal.com)
- SlideRocket Adds Collaboration, Analytics Features (informationweek.com)
- Keynotopia Wireframing Set: Free Wireframing Templates for Apple Keynote (smashingmagazine.com)